View RSS Feed

Sachin

Why is My Roof Rotting?

Rate this Entry
While every part of the house is considered essential because of their own specific purpose, it is somewhat undeniable that the roof serves a quite more vital role among the others. Obviously, it is the house’s major defense and protection against potential dangers brought about by the changing weather. Because of that, it is an imperative to keep the roof at its best quality, and to be mindful of the causes behind its rotting and deterioration.

Common Causes of Roof Rotting

1. Weather elements like rain, snow, extreme heat, wind and solid precipitation

These elements naturally occur around the country and the more extreme they get, the more it can cause damage to the roof. For instance, rain, snow and other solid precipitation (like hail) cause damage to the roof’s structure, while also causing mildew and rotting. In addition, strong winds can lift and drive away roof shingles, which will then lead to the deterioration of the roof, and may cause some leakage. Extreme heat brought about by the sun can also influence the wear and tear process the roof.

2. Moss and lichen

You may think they are just unpleasant to the sight, but the truth is that they are causing some serious harm, too. Moss and lichen grow almost anywhere, especially on surfaces exposed to just the right amount of light. On rainy days, the moss collects and soaks up water – acting like a sponge. As the water accumulates, it transcends under the shingles, down to the inner layers of the roof. Over time, it develops into mold, causing rot and decay. Rainwater leakage also follows.

3. Inadequate ventilation

Proper attic ventilation is needed to keep the roof at its best quality. Specific temperatures give rise to humidity, which will then constitute for moisture build up. Without adequate ventilation, this moisture will be trapped, leading to roof rot. In effect, water leaks become inevitable.

4. Faulty roof installation

Sometimes, roof rotting is resulted because it was improperly installed in the first place. Guidelines on how roofs should be installed are very particular and detailed. As such, it is needless to say that experienced roofers are more advisable to do the job. Those who are not considered as professionals in this field may not be very reliable, especially later on when the roof rot becomes more evident and damaging to the house.

Do not risk the quality of your roof by taking note of these common causes to rotting. Most of these can be prevented by learning some background to roof care, and by getting expert roofers to assist you along the way.

Written by Enrich Construction, the best service for roofing in Columbia, MO.

Submit "Why is My Roof Rotting?" to Digg Submit "Why is My Roof Rotting?" to del.icio.us Submit "Why is My Roof Rotting?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why is My Roof Rotting?" to Google Submit "Why is My Roof Rotting?" to Facebook Submit "Why is My Roof Rotting?" to Twitter

Comments

Leave Comment Leave Comment