View RSS Feed

Sachin

Things to Consider Before Buying Wooden Furniture

Rate this Entry
Name:  wood-furniture.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  25.8 KB

I really am not a fan of wooden furniture as I prefer the more modern look of steel, fiber glass, glass, and plastic when it comes to furniture and home embellishments. However, a few months ago, I got a chance to check out the finished products of a local wood furniture maker and I was really amazed by the efforts placed into producing these wooden furniture.

So when we had to move into this new home, I asked my husband if I can add some personal touches to our patio by dedicating it as my own “wooden haven” and gladly he agreed. So came my hunting for wooden furniture.

Being a newbie on this kind of furnishing, I had to ask a lot from sellers in order for me to be able to get the perfect furniture and furnishings for my wooden haven. Let me share some ideas I got from the wonderful people I met along the way.

It really helped me that I told the furniture shop attendants the location as to where I intend to place the wooden furniture that I’ll be buying. Yes, above all, consider where you are going to put your wooden furniture. If you intend to place it in an outdoor location such as the patio or the backyard, make sure that the type of wood can withstand the constant stress brought about by exposure to air, humid, water, sunlight, and dust among others.

In addition, always state the purpose. Are you buying the furniture or furnishings simply to display them? Or will these be used every day? Revealing the purpose of the furniture would also enable you to be helped as to the type of wood and at the same time the design that you should choose. Should you settle for solid woods? Or veneers can do the trick.

Third, consider the aesthetics aspect of wood buying. Remember, wooden furniture must match the surrounding or room where it is placed and at the same time the smaller elements of the interior design. Does the wood color complement the flooring or does it make the room appear dimmer? Beauty, though perceived by others to be something that should be less prioritized compared to functionality can actually make a huge difference in interior and or exterior design.

Next, which is probably one of the more important things to look on for me is the furniture price. Honestly speaking, wooden furniture can be a bit pricey. This is because of the materials used and the craftsmanship that’s implemented in every woodwork. In fact, for me, every piece of wooden furniture is a craftsman’s artwork. So don’t be surprised if the prices can be a bit too high. But if you really wish to own some wooden furniture without spending too much, there are a lot of second hand stores that sell these used wooden furniture at lower prices. You can then have these furniture modified or restored for a better look.

Lastly, check on the quality. Not all wooden furniture are made the same, even if made by the same individuals. At first I was a bit hesitant to ask the shop assistants if their products are sturdy enough to actually last for years. But I eventually learned that nothing hurts in trying. In fact, almost everyone was honest in stating their product’s wear and tear limits. But when it comes to wooden furniture, it is good to know that there are a lot of ways that can be done in order to maintain the quality such as regular repainting, varnishing, cleaning, and restoration for minor problems. So I guess these steps actually prolong the life of wooden furniture.

By Sarah Davis : she enjoys interior design. Find out more about her wooden haven at essayhunters.com

Submit "Things to Consider Before Buying Wooden Furniture" to Digg Submit "Things to Consider Before Buying Wooden Furniture" to del.icio.us Submit "Things to Consider Before Buying Wooden Furniture" to StumbleUpon Submit "Things to Consider Before Buying Wooden Furniture" to Google Submit "Things to Consider Before Buying Wooden Furniture" to Facebook Submit "Things to Consider Before Buying Wooden Furniture" to Twitter

Categories
Furniture

Comments

Leave Comment Leave Comment