View RSS Feed

Home Improvement, Remodeling

1. How can I refresh my home without breaking the bank?

Every home can use a bit of TLC every now and then, but spiffing it up doesn't need to break the bank! Projects as simple as a quick power wash or paint touch-up can make a big improvement in the appearance of your home. If you're looking to make some simple improvements, try these quick and easy upgrades – they'll refresh your place without putting a strain on your wallet.

Tidy up

Give your home its sparkle back with a quick scrubbing! Tackle areas you don't normally clean ...
  2. How to avoid these 5 common new homeowner mistakes

So you've just purchased a new home. Naturally the experience is filled with lots of excitement and anticipation. From renovation and remodeling ideas to design, a number of projects and considerations likely come to mind. Poor execution and planning can derail or delay a homeowner's opportunity to enjoy a new home to the fullest. Here are some common new homeowner mistakes and how to potentially avoid them.

1. PURCHASING FURNITURE IN ADVANCE

This is a common mistake of ...
  3. How to make approachable interior upgrades for the new year

Looking for ways to have your home look and feel different and refreshed in the new year? If the cost and prospect of an extensive renovation is undesirable, consider taking on smaller projects that can give your home a new look on a budget.

GETTING STARTED

First and foremost, have a budget. Decide how much money you can allocate as renovation dollars.

DETERMINE NEEDS VS. WANTS

Before you splurge, first determine what design or functionality needs ...
  4. Here’s how to prepare your home for winter

With frigid temperatures settling in for many parts of the country, for many now is the perfect time to properly prepare the home for winter. Here are some key tips to keep in mind.

1. Consider installing heat tape or using a heat tracing system. This can be critical in preventing freezing pipes in the case of a home that is seldom used such as a part-time or weekend residence.

2. Drain outdoor hoses and faucets. These should be winterized as soon as possible to prevent ...
  5. How can you update your dull basement?

In some homes, basements are light and airy with adequate windows and space to help you forget you're in a subterranean room. Others might need some help. If your basement feels musty and dank, check out these ideas on how to breathe some new life into the space.

IT'S ALL ABOUT LIGHTING

Make sure windows are sparkling clean and unobstructed from the exterior to let natural light in, and approach basement lighting as you would any room - just remember you'll likely need ...
  6. 5 ways to survive a home renovation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Home-Improvements.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	10263If a friend tells you she's renovating her home, when she finishes gushing about her new herringbone marble backsplash, expressions like "our place is a wreck right now," "I'm so stressed" and "I've had it up to here with my contractor" may soon follow.

Yes, renovations can be a major headache and they're certainly a challenging time to be living at home. Thankfully, many have survived remodels, and so will many more.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast