PDA

View Full Version : Insulating A-frame cabin

Randy
12-18-2014, 02:43 PM
We have a tall A-frame-type cabin.

After a frost and then a thaw, or when the temperature hits 70 or higher, condensation happens inside our house and water drips from the beams onto our nice wood floor.

We leave our ceiling fan on when we go to work and some windows open, but still the drips.

What can we do?

home improvement guy
12-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Improper ventilation and insulation of home attic space can produce high humidity levels and trap moisture that produces condensation. But from what I've seen, a lot of A-frame houses don't have attics, so condensation moves down to the next level.

You need to reduce the humidity level in your living space so the warm, damp air that rises and condenses on the cooler ceiling doesn't rain on your parade (and floor).

I'd suggest getting in an insulation contractor to see what can be done to correct the problem before mold and mildew get started. The corrective action you have taken just isn't enough.

The first summer I moved into my current house, I noticed dampness on the floor of my normally bone-dry basement. It was summer, the humidity levels in the basement were high, and condensation was forming on the outside of the air-conditioning ducts - enough to drip on the floor.

A properly sized dehumidifier solved my problem, even though some experts tell me that dehumidifying a space simply creates dry space for more humid air to penetrate the basement walls. Meaning that the dehumidifier has to run pretty much all the time, adding considerably to your utility bill.